Tips on Packing
Follow these guidelines in packing your household goods. You will save a great deal by packing yourself.
- Use strong containers that are in good condition and that can be secured tightly with twine or strapping tape. These can usually be purchased from your moving company for $1 - $7 depending on the size. Purchase special boxes for dishes, wardrobe and other special items.
- Label each box with its contents, which room it should go in, whether it is fragile and whether it should be loaded last so as to be unloaded first.
- Don’t load more than 50 pounds into any one box, and make sure the weight is evenly distributed.
- Cushion contents with newspaper or other packing material to prevent breakage. Use foam wrap or tissue paper for items that might be soiled by newspaper.
- Pack books tightly on end in small boxes. Alternate bindings and wrap valuable books separately.
- Have your rugs and draperies cleaned before moving and leave them in their wrappings for easier handling.
- Remove all breakables and liquids from drawers and pack them separately. Seal medicines and other containers to prevent leaking and pack in a leak proof bag or container.
- Pack linen and clothing in drawers, but don’t overload them.
- Carry all valuables with you. Do not pack jewellery, documents, coin or stamp collections or anything that will be difficult to replace.